by the associated press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. OFFICIALS INSIST OLYMPIC GAMES WILL BE SAFE
They say that while Sochi is a high-profile terror target, it will also be one of the best-protected venues in the world come February.
2. WHICH STATES WIN DRONE SWEEPSTAKES
Alaska, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Texas and Virginia are chosen to host research sites for the unmanned aircraft — and expect to reap significant economic benefits.
3. FAMILY VOWS TO SUE TO KEEP DAUGHTER ON LIFE SUPPORT
A 13-year-old girl who was declared brain dead after a tonsillectomy in California will remain on a breathing machine as legal battles continue.
4. WHY MICHAEL SCHUMACHER'S SKI ACCIDENT SEEMED SO FREAKISH
The auto racing legend "gave the image of someone indestructible, powerful," fellow F1 star Alain Prost says. "It's a banal accident compared to what he's done in the past."
5. IN ISRAEL, ANGER OVER FREEING OF PALESTINIANS
The release of more than two dozen inmates is part of a U.S.-brokered package to restart Mideast peace talks.
6. WHO'S PROMISING AMERICA'S LARGEST FIREWORKS SHOW
Las Vegas says it'll welcome the new year with a cascade of pyrotechnics shot from the rooftops of seven hotel-casinos.
7. IN ERA OF ELECTRONICS, ELECTRICITY USE FALLS
Energy-efficient housing, appliances and gadgets have brought home power consumption in the U.S. to the lowest levels since 2001.
8. TOPS IN TECH TOUGHER TO TELL
The AP's Anick Jesdanun says competition has gotten so intense that one brand rarely stands out anymore in any tech product category.
9. `TODAY' TAKES TRIP BACK IN TIME
NBC's morning show brings back former hosts Bryant Gumbel and Jane Pauley for a one-day nostalgia turn.
10. NFL COACHING CAROUSEL SPINS
With the regular season barely concluded, five head coaches are already unemployed.